If you want to travel outside Australia, you need a passport.

Australian Passport application forms are available from Australia Post, or the Australian Passport Office. To apply for a passport you will need an original copy of your birth certificate and at least two other forms of identification listed on the passport application. If you are under 18 you will need parental consent.

You will need to have specific photos taken and have an interview to lodge the application and pay the set fee.

A passport remains the property of the Australian Government and is needed to travel in and out of Australia. If you lose or damage your passport you should report it to the passport office immediately. If it is stolen you should also report it to the Police.