You can see a doctor for advice about contraception without your parents knowing in most circumstances.

Your doctor may prescribe you a form of contraception if the doctor believes that:

  • you understand their advice;
  • they cannot persuade you to tell your parents or allow the doctor to tell them;
  • you are likely to begin or continue having sex with or without contraception;
  • unless you receive the treatment sought your health or wellbeing will suffer;
  • your best interests require the treatment without parental consent or knowledge.

It is always preferable to discuss such a decision with your parents or someone that you trust, but, sometimes this just isn’t possible. In such cases it is important to find a doctor you can talk to freely.

Differences between states

Northern Territory

For further information you can contact your local GP, or Family Planning NT on 08 8948 0144.

Clinic 34 is a free sexual health clinic that operates in various locations in the NT – visit their website for further details. Condoms are freely available at both of these services.


You can contact Sexual Health and Family Planning ACT on 02 6247 3077 for assistance with contraception options.

Western Australia

You can contact Sexual Health Quarters on 08 9227 6177 for assistance with contraception options.


You can contact Family Planning NSW on 1300 658 886 for assistance with contraception options.


You can contact the following services for information and advice about contraception:

Family Planning Victoria

Better Health Channel Victoria

Women’s Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE)

Dr Marie

South Australia

SHine SA offers detailed information on specific contraceptive methods.  Check out their website, or call the Sexual Healthline about any sexual health issue on 1300 883 793, or 1800 188 171 (country callers only), between 9am to 1pm, Monday to Friday.


You can contact Family Planning Tasmania on 03 6273 9117 (Hobart), 03 6343 4566 (Launceston) or 03 6431 7692 (Burnie), or send an email to  You can also contact the Hobart Women’s Health Centre on 1800 675 028 for assistance with contraception options.


You can contact True, who can provide you with information, fact sheets or pamphlets. You can call them on 07 3250 0240, or send an email to